Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Shakespeare as you've never seen

Happy Sunday to you all. I haven't done a Sunday Salon post in ages. I've been writing and, well, missing out on all the summer blogging fun. Plus, it's mind-sappingly HOT here in Texas. I've curled up with more than a few glasses of peach tea and a nice stack of books with my girls this summer. In fact, if the measure of a good book is one that you are still thinking about a week later, then it must be said INCENDIARY by Chris Cleave is a good book. Great, in fact. The main character (an unnamed woman reeling from the bombing death of her husband and son by Osama Bin Laden's henchman) is so raw and emotional that I won't soon forget her. Plus, the book is written in epistolary style - one long letter from the woman to Osama himself.

Have you read this novel? Did you like it?

On a lighter note, this is MUST SEE funny, short video featuring impressionist Jim Meskimen performing a speech from Shakespeare's RICHARD III in more than a dozen famous voices.




Read more Sunday Salon posts here.

7 comments:

  1. Curling up with books and tea sounds nice. I've been easily distracted all week, but did have some fun moments with grandkids.

    My reading and writing are not as great as I would like....

    The book you mentioned sounds captivating.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel - Thanks for stopping by. INCENDIARY is absolutely captivating. I just read it was made into a movie a few years back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love that video. Thank you for sharing it.

    Here's my Sunday Salon for this week:
    Sunday Salon: New York! New York!
    And don't forget the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peach tea and a stack of books on a hot day sounds delicious. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Incendiary, but it sounds intriguing! And I love that video - that guy is so talented. Can't beat Shakespeare done by Droopy Dog, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read Little Bee, but haven't read Incendiary yet - might have to do so after your endorsement!

    I'm on my way to Texas next week to visit my son - cool it off down there before I come, would you??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny enough, I JUST bought this book, and it's next on my to-read list. I was blown away by Little Bee when I read it last year; I still think about it even though it's been months, and I'm sure I will continue rereading it through the years. So I've really been looking forward to reading Incendiary and any of Cleave's future books.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation. Please leave your comments and thoughts!