Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Summer Reading


I could have named her Summer Reading.

She was born in July and has had a book in her hands ever since. I passed by my window the other morning and captured this photo. I took it through the window screen because I didn't want to disturb her. She might have flown away like a startled bird (or said, "Mooommmm, what are you doing?" in a voice that communicates You are so weird, mom.)

We are having a great time reading together. She's a few weeks shy of 9 now, so many of the books I love to read are just perfect for her, too. We read Louis Sachar's HOLES together recently. This is the first book we've really been able to dig in and discuss together. Ah, bliss! Then we watched the movie together. Now, she and her little sister are acting out scenes from the story. I remember that my sister and I did that once, too, only we re-enacted LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. Do you remember doing that when you were younger?

For many reasons, I'm looking forward to this summer. But one of them is a summer reading list I hope she and I complete together. Here's a list of my favorites on our summer reading list.

HOLES by Louis Sachar
WONDER by R. J. Palacio
WALK TWO MOONS by Sharon Creech
BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE by Kate DiCamillo
THREE TIMES LUCKY by Shelia Turnage

What's on your summer reading list?

9 comments:

  1. What a precious photo and precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, love that photo! I can almost hear the voice that communicates: "Mom, you're so weird." I think my daughter actually said that...lol

    My daughter didn't enjoy reading, but my granddaughter does.

    Enjoy!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo. I really hope when I have children that they are bookworms. I will certainly do my best to encourage it! It must be wonderful to be discussing books with her now. When I was young I often read the same books as my Mum but I don't really remember discussing them. Perhaps we should start now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that picture! I remember how excited I was when my daughter was old enough to start sharing books with. One of the first we read together (aside from hours of picture book reading, of course) was From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsberg. It was one of my very favorites as a child, and it was so wonderful to be able to share it with her.

    She's almost 16 now, so we don't read together very often, but we do hand books back and forth and give each other recommendations, and then talk about them after we're both done. It's one of my favorite things about being her mom.

    And now my boys are the ones I read aloud to - we're enjoying the Percy Jackson books right now. They don't love to read on their own as much as Natalie does, but they love to be read to, and that makes me happy.

    Have a great day, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie,

      thanks for mentioning the E. L. Konigsberg book. I'll add that to my list. I'm looking forward to being in the phase you are in where we we give each other recommendations. :)

      Delete
  5. What a great post! I've been reading a lot of positive things about Wonder. I'm hoping read it too with the kids along with The Lost Hero (Riordan), The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Angelberger), and a few of Matt Phelan's books The Storm in the Barn and Around the World. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasilly,

      Thanks for those other book ideas.I'm making a list! I think you will enjoy WONDER. It has such a powerful message.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous17 June, 2012

    Ahhhh this picture brings tears to my eyes! I have many happy memories of reading with my Mom. She's 85 now and when I visit her in Arkansas we still spend entire days reading our books in the living room or out on the back porch, occasionally breaking the peaceful silence with "Can I read you something?" and then sharing a funny or quirky passage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this post and photo! When my girls were that age, we had a summer reading club and enjoyed so many great books together. It was also around the time we went to midnight 'premiers' at book stores for new Harry Potter releases... such great memories. I'm a July baby, too, and think my own mother must have had thoughts similar to yours some 40 years ago...

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation. Please leave your comments and thoughts!