Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: The Summer I Learned To Fly


"For some people it's the smell of sunblock." p. 1 (This is the line that tugged at me in the bookstore because I will forever associate the smell of sunblock with my little girls.) 
"That night I went up to bed in a silent house, safe in my role of the girl who doesn't break the rules, who doesn't upset the natural order and demand explanations from the adults around her. I slept late and then I went to work." p. 59

The Summer I Learned To Fly by Dana Reinhardt

From the book jacket: Drew's a bit of a loner. She has a pet rat, her dead dad's Book of Lists, an encyclopedic knowledge of cheese from working at her mom's cheese shop, and a crush on Nick, the surf bum who works behind the counter.

It's the summer before eighth grade and Drew's days seem like business as usual, until one night after closing time, when she meets a strange boy in the alley named Emmett Crane. Who he is, why he's there, where the cut on his cheek came from, and his bottomless knowledge of rats are all mysteries Drew will untangle as they are drawn closer together, and Drew enters into the first true friendship, and adventure, of her life. 

Visit the author's website: http://www.danareinhardt.net/



For more Teaser Tuesday selections, go here.

12 comments:

  1. I like both of these teasers. I always associate the smell of sunblock with the beach or the pool. It immediately makes me think of relaxing. Thanks for sharing. If you get a chance, my teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly, sunscreen and bug spray are two of my favorite smells in summer, so now I definitely want to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie & Jac -

    Isn't that such a universal scent? I'm now halfway through the book and have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're enjoying this book. It really looks good. And I love the title :) Thanks for visiting my blog today :)

    New follower,
    April @books4juliet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that looks like a fun book to read. I think it would be fun to be able to fly.

    Thanks for your visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at the teaser and the title but the book description clinches it! I must read this book!!

    Here's my Teaser Tuesdays. Check out the two contest links on my sidebar too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunblock is definitely a summery smell to me. It's also why I have a hard time drinking stuff that is coconut flavored - it smells like sunblock, and grosses me out a bit, lol. Love the scent, can't stand the drink association.

    My teaser is from Still Life this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The smell of Copper Tone (which was what we used way back in the day!) can elicit all kinds of moments for me, conjuring them up in full detail.

    Thanks for the great teaser.

    Here's MY TT POST

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm rather the opposite - I don't like most sunblock and suntan lotion because coconut makes me want a pina colada! Good teaser!

    My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The smell of sunblock signals memories of a lot of scobberlotching ;) LOVE that word -- thanks!

    Great teaser -- I made a note of it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smells are so evocative -- they can instantly transport me, and sunblock's definitely right up there on the list! Consider me teased!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation. Please leave your comments and thoughts!