Thursday, May 31, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: If you could write a book...

btt button


This week's Booking Through Thursday question is:

If you could write a book, what would it be about, and why? (Though, of course, some of you already HAVE.)

--

I almost abstained from this week's question because I have, indeed, written a book or two in my lifetime. (And I'm having a Hatfields & McCoys hangover, too. I became addicted to that mini-series this week to a point of distraction and now I want to get the soundtrack. Who knew Kevin Costner could sing?)

My answer to this question, however, is from one of my favorite quotes.

Toni Morrison“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
Toni Morrison


Morrison's precept perfectly expresses how I feel about the variety of subjects and characters I find myself writing about.  I choose subjects I want to better understand. This is why my topics are all over the place. Nature vs. Nurture. Religious cults. Viet Nam. Alcoholism. And my latest work-in-progress involves agoraphobia.
--

What about you? If you could write a book, what do you think you'd like to write about? And if you really want this to be the year you make the attempt to write the great American novel, why not start with National Novel Writing Month?


Here's a funny inspiring video, How To Write The Great American Novel, to get you going!


16 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I've just looked at the National Novel Writing Month and it sounds great so I'm going to check it out a little more later. I love that you write about things that you want to understand better and writing obviously seems a great way to do that other than reading of course. I love that quote too, very inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! Let me know if you join NaNoWriMo. I'm going to participate again this year!

      Delete
  2. Love the topics you're exploring...I can relate to several. Addiction and the Viet Nam War show up in a couple of my books.

    One of my WIPs was "born" during NaNoWriMo in 2010.

    Thanks for visiting my blog....enjoy your journey! Can't wait to read your next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel! I've had great success birthing ideas during NaNoWriMo, too.

      Delete
  3. Love the Toni Morrison quote.

    I've decided that the world is better off without me writing books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video was great. "Make sure you sleep at least 12 hours a night" made me laugh out loud because I really truly could do that if I allowed myself!!

    As for books... I'm exploring a lot of things right now. But my lips must be sealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is essential, Ryan. :) I love the exploration stage so I'm glad you are in it right now.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous31 May, 2012

    You're right that many of us think we have a book inside us.

    My question to myself is--is that book going to be any good and will any one but my immediate family want to read it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashville,

      We all experience that feeling of inadequacy, I think. The thing to do, I've discovered, is to write the draft as if you are telling the story to your best friend. It takes the edge off.

      Delete
  6. Yes, absolutely, this is my go-to writing quote! I have it up and it always inspires me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous31 May, 2012

    Thanks! for sharing this.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/booking-through-thursday_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agoraphobia, what a fascinating thing to write about!

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/05/booking-through-thursday_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of different topics.

    http://citygirlwholovestoread.blogspot.com/2012/05/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. The video is fun! I can't wait for your new book to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I can't wait for it either. I feel like I've been pregnant with it FOREVER! The official pub date now is July 1, 2013. Another year! Ack! Oh well. More time to work on the next one. :)

      Delete

It's all about friendly conversation. Please leave your comments and thoughts!